Current:Home > StocksPrincess Diana's Brother Charles Spencer and His Wife Karen Break Up After 13 Years of Marriage -Capitatum
Princess Diana's Brother Charles Spencer and His Wife Karen Break Up After 13 Years of Marriage
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:43:08
Charles Spencer and his wife Karen Spencer are going their separate ways.
Earl Spencer—the brother of the late Princess Diana—announced he and the Countess of Spencer are divorcing after 13 years of marriage.
"It is immensely sad," Charles told The Mail on Sunday in a statement published June 8. "I just want to devote myself to all my children, and to my grandchildren, and I wish Karen every happiness in the future."
The former couple wed in June 2011 at Althorp estate, the home of the Spencer family in Northamptonshire, England where Princess Diana is buried. The following year, Charles and Karen welcomed their daughter Lady Charlotte Diana Spencer, whose middle name honors his sister.
The author is also father to Lady Kitty Spencer, Lady Eliza Spencer, Lady Amelia Spencer and Louis Spencer, Viscount Althorp—whom he shares with his first wife Victoria Lockwood—as well as to the Honorable Edmund Spencer and Lady Lara Spencer, whom he welcomed with his second wife Caroline Freud.
During their marriage, Charles and Karen offered glimpses into their relationship.
"Karen and I both appreciate what the other does and look after what we have," he said in a 2020 interview with The Sunday Times, per The Mail on Sunday. "Neither of us has found happiness like this before."
Charles also spoke about how Karen was there for him while he was working on his memoir A Very Private School, in which he wrote that he was abused as a child at a boarding school.
"Karen has been supportive," he told People in March. "I think it was very challenging for her to have a husband going through what was essentially four and a half years of the most profound therapy with very difficult undertones to it. And she supported the idea of me doing it."
"I think she always hoped I would come out happier and healthier," he added. "And that seems to be the case very much. So, I'm grateful to have her standing by me while I went through this, what I now realize was an essential process."
To review more royal news from this year, keep reading.
Nearly two months after the Princess of Wales went public with her cancer diagnosis, a spokesperson for Kensington Palace said the royal has no immidiate plans to return to her public-facing duties.
"The princess is not expected to return to work," the rep said in a May 21 statement to BBC, "until it's cleared by her medical team."
On May 13, King Charles III bestowed the title of Colonel-in-Chief of the Army Air Corps to his oldest son, sparking controversy as many royal watchers believed the title would be more suited for Prince Harry, who trained and served in the military branch.
On April 26, nearly three months after sharing his cancer diagnosis, Buckingham Palace announced that Charles will return to public-facing duties.
The queen consort attended the Royal Maundy Service on March 28 in place of King Charles III, making her the first spouse of the Monarch to continue the ancient tradition.
In a March 22 video message, the Princess of Wales shared that she'd been diagnosed with cancer after undergoing abdominal surgery in January.
"It was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful," she said before noting that tests after the operation found cancer had been present. "My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."
After photo agencies pulled the picture Kensington Palace shared of Kate since having her abdominal surgery on March 10, the Princess of Wales addressed claims the photo was doctored.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she tweeted on March 11. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C."
Princess Diana's niece celebrated Mother's Day in the U.K. by sharing she and her husband Michael Lewis privately welcomed their first baby.
“It’s the joy of my life to be your mummy, little one. I love you unconditionally," she captioned her March 10 Instagram post. "Happy Mother’s Day to those who celebrate today."
After keeping up her full slate of engagements in the wake of her husband's cancer diagnosis, the palace cleared Camilla's schedule.
The Times pointed out March 2 that the 76-year-old didn't have any engagements on her calendar until March 11, when she'd be due at Westminster Abbey to observe Commonwealth Day.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, was found dead Feb. 25. Days later, a coroner's inquest found that he died by suicide.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (6)
Related
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- Quincy Jones' cause of death revealed: Reports
- Reese Witherspoon's Daughter Ava Phillippe Introduces Adorable New Family Member
- The Surreal Life’s Kim Zolciak Fuels Dating Rumors With Costar Chet Hanks After Kroy Biermann Split
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- South Carolina to take a break from executions for the holidays
- Top Federal Reserve official defends central bank’s independence in wake of Trump win
- Giuliani’s lawyers after $148M defamation judgment seek to withdraw from his case
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Stop What You're Doing—Moo Deng Just Dropped Her First Single
Ranking
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- High-scoring night in NBA: Giannis Antetokounmpo explodes for 59, Victor Wembanyama for 50
- Justice Department says jail conditions in Georgia’s Fulton County violate detainee rights
- Olympic Skier Lindsey Vonn Coming Out of Retirement at 40
- 3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
- Statue of the late US Rep. John Lewis, a civil rights icon, is unveiled in his native Alabama
- Video ‘bares’ all: Insurers say bear that damaged luxury cars was actually a person in a costume
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign chancellor to step down at end of academic year
Recommendation
Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
The Daily Money: All about 'Doge.'
Kyle Richards Swears This Holiday Candle Is the Best Scent Ever and She Uses It All Year
Ford agrees to pay up to $165 million penalty to US government for moving too slowly on recalls
US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
RHOBH's Erika Jayne Reveals Which Team She's on Amid Kyle Richards, Dorit Kemsley Feud
Up to 20 human skulls found in man's discarded bags, home in New Mexico
Mike Tyson concedes the role of villain to young foe in 58-year-old’s fight with Jake Paul